“The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do.”
-Sarah Ban Breathnach
This February marks the 15th anniversary of V-Day, the global activist movement to end violence against women and girls. On February 18th and 19th, 2013, at 7pm, a V-Day benefit production of Eve Ensler’s award winning play The Vagina Monologues will be directed by Andrea Bertola at the HERE Arts Center in New York City, where The Vagina Monologues was first produced in 1996. Proceeds from this production will benefit viBe Theater Experience an organization that produces original, free theater, music and videos about real-life issues written and performed by teen girls.
Here are 7 reasons why you should consider donating to the cause…
1) To stop violence against women: According to the United Nations, ONE out of every THREE women on the planet will be physically or sexually abused in her lifetime. Our show works to raise money and awareness to stop violence against women.
2) Because it works: In 2012, more than 5800 V-Day benefit events took place produced by volunteer activists around the world. To date, the V-Day movement has raised over $90 million and reached over 300 million people and educated millions about the issue of violence against women and the efforts to end it. V-Day was named one of Worth Magazine’s “100 Best Charities”, in 2006 one of Marie Claire Magazine’s Top Ten Charities and in 2010 was named as one of the Top-Rated organizations on Philanthropedia/Guidestar and GreatNonprofits.
3) For NYC teen girls: This production will benefit “viBe Theater Experience”. viBe Theater Experience (viBe) produces original, free theater, music and videos about real-life issues written and performed by teen girls. We provide a safe, creative space for under-served girls to express their voices, take on challenges and gain the self-confidence necessary to succeed personally, artistically and academically. viBe empowers girls through free programs, which engage and inspire them to write, create, publish, direct and perform personal and truthful collaborative theater and music.
5) For Theater: The Vagina Monologues is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money and revitalize the spirit of existing anti‐violence organizations. Raw, wild, thought-provoking art that makes a difference.
6) For creativity: We believe women should spend their lives creating and thriving rather than surviving or recovering from terrible atrocities. We’re taking the show out of context, flipping it on it’s head…and making a wild ride. The show is outrageous, sexy, raw and empowering. Not for the faint of heart.
7) For the women in your life: your mother, sister, girlfriend, friend and daughter.
Donating through this website is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.
Many thanks for your support — and don’t forget to buy tickets (Link will be posted soon)!
UNTIL THE VIOLENCE STOPS.